The Backsplash Project

After the under cabinet lighting project, I tackled the backsplash. This would prove to be a bit more of a challenge than I first anticipated.

I first removed the existing backsplash. Basically it was an extension of the laminate countertop. Every piece of research I’d read said pour some nail polish remover on the crease where the backsplash was attached to loosen up the glue and pull up. Easy as pie. Right?

Sort of. I pulled up and the first section came right up at first then it stopped. I pulled a bit harder and that’s when I heard the rip and noticed that the backsplash was also screwed on to the countertop. Actually, it would be more accurate to say it was screwed up through the countertop.

This was a problem. At first I tried going underneath the cabinet to unscrew the screws. I quickly learned that was not going to be possible. Those screws were either hidden or next to impossible to get to.

Next was the Dremel tool. After 3 or 4 of those cut disks came flying off and popping me in the face, this plan was also quickly abandoned.

Pounding out the screws crossed my mind but I figured that could crack my countertops. I grabbed some plyers and twisted off the tops. This worked fairly well. I later would follow up with a grinder on the Dremel to smooth it out. Here was what I was left with:

20131227-033655.jpg

After I cleaned up all the glue and dust, I was now ready to start putting up the backsplash.

We went with a 6″ pattern of copper tinted tin from American Tin Ceiling. They are a great company to work with and I highly recommend them if you choose to do a tin project. Great service and very economical. You can get a piece of 24″x24″ piece of unfinished tin for $7. Our tin was powder coated and cost $19 a sheet. They’ve got a jillion different options and patterns and they will mail samples. Here’s the sheet we went with:

20131227-034303.jpg

Couple of hints on cutting tin – wear gloves. Thick ones. If you can borrow a big paper cutter like the ones they have at school – borrow one. Or just buy one if your project is big enough. Straight tin snips work fine as well. American Tin Ceilings has YouTube videos for how to cut and glue the tin.

Glue – I used liquid nails. It works but Iater on I used a brad nailer to hold tin in place while the glue stuck. I could nail it up where two sheets were going to overlap.

I also picked up some borders from Home Depot made for a product called Facade. This mad the rough sides that were exposed look smooth.

Last was the quarter round. We painted it to match our knobs and brad nailed and glued it to hide the holes on countertop as well as hide the gap between countertop and wall. Clear silicon finished the job.

It’s beautiful. Love the copper look.

Here are some pics:

20131227-035108.jpg

20131227-035208.jpg

20131227-035132.jpg

20131227-035240.jpg

20131227-035339.jpg

One thought on “The Backsplash Project

let your voice be heard...